Colchester Borough Council is considering proposals to improve walking and cycling access in Colchester as part of the Colchester Northern Gateway development.
SYSTRA, acting as traffic consultants for the council, is now carrying out a Walking, Cycling and Horse-riding Assessment Review (WCHAR) as part of this process. The review will ensure that proposals fully accord with highways guidance.
The proposals being considered lie to the south of Junction 28 of the A12 within the vicinity of Axial Way and Mill Road. They include the signalisation of the following existing junctions:
- A12 northbound exit slip road/Cuckoo Farm Way
- A12 Southbound exit slip road/Cuckoo Farm Way
- Cuckoo Farm Way/Axial Way/Via Urbis Romanae/United Way
- Axial Way (Beadles Volkswagen Colchester)
- Axial Way (Northern Gateway South)
Proposals also include the addition of a new “T” junction with a ghost island right turn at:
- Axial Way/Plot 11 CNG Residential Development
As the above works are likely to have an impact on existing pedestrian and cyclist movements the following associated improvements will also be made:
- Widening of existing foot way provision where necessary to provide shared facilities
- Provision of TOUCAN crossing points on all pedestrian routes through signalised junctions on the Via Urbis Romanae/Cuckoo Farm Way
- Improvements to existing crossing facilities along Axial Way to facilitate cycling
Colchester Borough Council is now inviting those who walk, cycle or ride in the area, or have an interest in these routes, to take part in a consultation to help gather local views.
Please note that this consultation relates only to the movement of pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders and is not a forum to raise comments concerning the merits of the development.
The following PDF plans can be downloaded for your review:
- Plan 1 – J28, Axial and Via Urbis Romane Proposals
- Plan 2 – Walking and Cycling Routes
- Plan 3 – Axial Way Propsals
- Plan 4 – Main Junction Improvement
Those wishing to comment on the plans can email Emma Howell, Assistant Consultant, Systra Ltd at Ehowell@systra.com.
The consultation will run until 12 March 2021.Back To Top